How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What is the minimum trap seal depth under a sink drain?
Sunday, June 19, 2022
The minimum trap seal depth is 2-inches according to the International Residential Code (IRC P3201.2). A trap seal is the standing water in the U-shaped pipe under a sink that keeps sewer gas from traveling backwards through the drain piping and up through the sink into a home. It is measured as shown in the diagram below. Two problems are created when the trap seal is less than 2-inches: the trap water is more likely to be siphoned away during normal usage by the suction created downstream in the pipe, and the trap seal is more susceptible to loss by evaporation.
The maximum trap seal depth is 4-inches, and traps that are not installed by a professional plumber are more likely to have too much trap seal rather than not enough. Excessive trap depth slows drainage and is more easily clogged.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to more articles about PLUMBING TRAPS:
• What are the code requirements for layout of drain piping under sinks?
• Why is it a problem when a trap under a sink is installed backwards?
• What is a double trap in plumbing?
• What types of plumbing traps are illegal by code?
• What is bell trap at a plumbing drain?
• What is an "S-Trap" under my sink? Why is it a problem?
• How do I get rid of the sewer gas smell in my house?
• What is the minimum and maximum distance a P-trap can be below a sink?
• Why is the European-style bottle trap not approved by the plumbing codes in the U.S.?
• Can I make a trap under the sink from straight pipe and 90º elbows?
• What is a drum trap at a plumbing drain?
Trap seal diagram - CodeCheck
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.