How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What are the minimum code requirements for a residential hallway?
Sunday, March 20, 2022
Here are the minimum code requirements for a residential hallway:
• Minimum width of a hallway is 3-feet (IRC R311.6).
• A receptacle outlet is only required when a hallway is 10-feet or longer, and just one is necessary even if hallway is much longer (IRC E3901.10).
• At least one switch-controlled lighting outlet (lighting fixture) required in every hallway, except that remote, central, or automatic light controls may be used as an alternative (IRC E3903.3).
• Minimum ceiling height of a hallway is 6-feet 8-inches (IRC R305.1.1).
• A smoke detector-alarm must be installed in every hallway providing access to a sleeping room (bedroom) (IRC AM104.3).
These requirements are based on the International Residential Code (IRC), and similar National Electrical Code (NEC) standards. Other codes and local jurisdiction amendments may be different. Also see Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Minimum Code Requirements
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about BUILDING CODES:
• What are the minimum code requirements for a residential bathroom?
• What are the minimum code requirements for a residential garage?
• What are the minimum code requirements for a residential kitchen?
• When did the first Florida Building Code (FBC) begin and become effective?
• The home inspector says I have construction defects. How did my home pass inspection by the building department?
• What is the difference between prescriptive and performance building codes?
• Can a local building department choose to not enforce selected parts of the Florida Building Code?
• Is the latest edition of the National Electrical Code (NEC) the standard used for the electrical system of new homes?
• Why is the National Electrical Code (NEC) so hard to understand and complicated?
• What is the purpose of the Existing Building Edition of the Florida Building Code?
• What is the most important sentence to know in the entire National Electrical Code (NEC)?
• How often does the National Electrical Code (NEC) change?
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.