How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Where do I turn off the water to the shower?
Saturday, February 19, 2022
The code does not require water shut-offs for a shower or bathtub, so most homes don’t have them and you will have to use the main shut-off to the house. If you don’t know where it is, go to our article How do I find the main water shut off valve for my house?
However, you just might have a pair of shower shut-off valves, and here’s where to look:
•• Check on the other side of the shower plumbing wall in an adjacent closet or room. If there is an access panel set in the wall, you may find shut-off valves behind it. But it is also possible that the access panel was installed after the wall was opened for a plumbing repair and there are no shut-offs.
•• At homes with a crawl space or basement, you might find shut-off valves directly below the shower or, by following the pipes, locate a “zone” shut-off (usually at a tee) that will enable you to just shut off a few fixtures.
•• If your home has PEX piping and a manifold system for water distribution, you are in luck. One of the shut-offs at the manifold should be marked as the shower you want.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to some of our other articles about water shut-off valves:
• How do I shut off the main water service in a mobile/manufactured home?
• Where do I find the main water shut-off valve for my condominium?
• Does a home inspector locate the main water shut-off valve?
• Does a home inspector check and test shut-off valves?
• Does a water heater need a shut-off valve?
• Does code require a water shut-off valve at toilets?
• Does code require a water shut-off valve at sinks?
• Does code require a water shut-off valve for dishwashers?
• Which plumbing fixtures require water shut off valves in a home?
• Does a refrigerator water supply line require a shutoff valve behind it?
• Is it alright to have a shut-off valve on both the hot and cold water pipes at a water heater?
• Is a shut off valve in-line on a supply line to a plumbing fixture acceptable?
• Is a shut-off valve required at the cold water inlet to a mobile home water heater?
• What is the average life expectancy of plumbing fixture water shut-off valves?
• Is a sink or toilet shut-off valve behind an access panel approved by code?
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.