How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Where is the water shut-off valve for my refrigerator?
Saturday, November 5, 2022
Newer homes have a water connection and shut-off valve at a box inset in the wall behind the refrigerator. But homes that were built before water service to the refrigerator became standard may have the water supply and valve retrofitted under the kitchen sink next to the cold water shut-off valve. It can also be in another room over a water heater or under a bathroom sink (like the photo above). The building code requires that it must be clearly identified when the shut-off is not adjacent to the appliance—but this rarely happens. So you may have to hunt for it, and then test the valve to verify you have the right one.
What we hope you don’t find when you locate it is a saddle valve, which is easy for a homeowner or handyman to install, but prone to leakage and not code-approved.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to some of our other articles about WATER SHUT-OFF VALVES:
• How do I find the main water shut off valve for my house?
• How do I shut off the main water service in a mobile/manufactured home?
• Where do I find the main water shut-off valve for my condominium?
• Does a home inspector locate the main water shut-off valve?
• Does a home inspector check and test shut-off valves?
• Does a water heater need a shut-off valve?
• Does code require a water shut-off valve at toilets?
• Does code require a water shut-off valve at sinks?
• Does code require a water shut-off valve at showers?
• Does code require a water shut-off valve at bathtubs?
• Does code require a water shut-off valve for dishwashers?
• Which plumbing fixtures require water shut off valves in a home?
• Does a refrigerator water supply line require a shutoff valve behind it?
• Is it alright to have a shut-off valve on both the hot and cold water pipes at a water heater?
• Is a shut off valve in-line on a supply line to a plumbing fixture acceptable?
• Is a shut-off valve required at the cold water inlet to a mobile home water heater?
• What is the average life expectancy of plumbing fixture water shut-off valves?
• Is a sink or toilet shut-off valve behind an access panel approved by code?
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.