How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manufactured and modular homes
Can NM-cable (Romex®) lay on the ground in a crawl space or unfinished basement?
Tuesday, November 15, 2022
Exposed NM-cable must be protected from damage, so it is not allowed to run across the ground in a crawl space or unfinished basement. And the photo above is an example of how not to do it.The National Electrical Code [NEC 334.15(C), NEC 300.4(D), and NEC 334.30(B)] allows these installation methods:
1) Where the cable is run at angles with joists in unfinished basements or crawl spaces, it can be secured directly to the bottom of floor joists if not smaller than two #6 AWG or three #8 AWG.
2) Smaller NM-cables must be run through holes in the joists or on running boards.
3) NM-cables installed on a wall must be protected by listed conduit or tubing.
4) NM-cables running parallel to floor joists must be secured at least 1-1/4” from nearest edge of joist.
5) NM-cables must be supported and secured by listed methods and products, such as staples, designed and installed so as not to damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 4-1/2 feet, and within 12-inches of every cable entry into an enclosure. The length between cable entry and the closest cable support cannot exceed 18-inches.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Field Guide for Home Inspectors, a quick reference for finding the age of 154 brands of HVAC systems, water heaters, and electrical panels, plus 210 code standards for site-built and manufactured homes, and the life expectancy rating of 195 home components. Available at amazon.com for $19.95.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of answers to our most-frequently-asked questions about NM-CABLE (ROMEX®):
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.