How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Can you install a flexible gas appliance connector in an exterior location?
Tuesday, October 4, 2022
Many, but not all, flexible gas appliance connectors are rated for exterior installation. You should check the manufacturer’s tag on the connector to verify. The yellow and gray appliance connectors manufactured by Dormont are exterior-rated, for example, but not the blue ones.
The appliance connector shown above, connected to a tankless gas water heater at an exterior wall, is definitely rated for the location. But it is 1/2” diameter although the minimum service required by the manufacturer is 3/4”, and protrudes from the wall about 14”, which makes it subject to damage. So that particular installation is not acceptable.
To learn more, go to What are the requirements for installing a gas appliance connector?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a few of our other articles about gas piping:
• How can I tell the difference between Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST) and a Flexible Appliance Connector (FAC)?
• Is black iron gas pipe code approved for exterior (outdoor) installation?
• Can gas piping be installed in a supply or return duct or plenum?
• Is it normal to smell gas near a natural gas meter?
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.