How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What is the code minimum width of an exterior door?
Friday, January 7, 2022
The minimum width of the clear opening of one exterior door in a house must be 34-inches. You need a 36-inch door to get a 34-inch clear opening. But only one door has to meet this standard and that door is designated as the “egress door”—for emergency, quick exit in a fire.
Code also mandates that an egress door has to meet multiple other standards, like that it must provide access to the exterior without traveling through the garage and cannot be a sliding door. To learn more, go to How many exit doors are required for a house?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
To learn more about doors, see these other articles:
• What causes sweating (condensation) on the inside of windows in the winter?
• Is every exterior door of a house required to have a landing outside?
• What is the raised metal plate on the floor under the garage door?
• Why do I have to hold down the button to close the garage door?
• How can I tell if a window or glass door is safety glass?
• What are the code requirements for safety tempered glass for doors?•
• Should a front door swing in or out?
• Can a bedroom door open into the garage?
• What are the building code requirements for a door from the garage to the house?
• What is "low-E" window glass?
• What does ANSI 297.1 on glass mean?
• Why is a double cylinder deadbolt lock on an exterior door a safety hazard?
• How can I check my garage door to make sure it is safe?
• How difficult is it to change a window to french doors or a sliding glass door?
Visit our DOORS AND WINDOWS page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.