How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Attic Access Hatches, Ladders, and Doors
Thursday, September 30, 2021
“Where is the attic?” That’s the one question we get asked most often when inspecting older houses. Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about attic access:
• Why is there no attic access hatch in the house?
• What is the building code requirement for an attic access hatch, scuttle, or door?
• Why are most pull-down attic ladders not approved by building code for installation in a garage?
• Is a house required to have an attic?
• What are the warning signs of a dangerous attic pull-down ladder?
• Should I buy a house with no attic access hatch?
• Does the code require a barrier/well around the attic access hatch for blown insulation?
• When is a house not required to have an attic access hatch?
• Does a mobile home have an attic?
• What is the minimum size for attic access opening?
• When does code require an attic pull-down ladder to be installed?
• Are attic pull-down ladders required to be code-approved?
• Can the attic access opening be outside the house according to the building code?
• Where should attic access be placed by code?
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.