How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Can I install a pet/doggy door to a pool screen enclosure/cage area?
Sunday, August 8, 2021
A pet door at your pool screen enclosure, either from the house or to the yard, is not compliant with Florida pool safety standards if the screen cage is the only child-safety barrier provided. "Children regularly drown in backyard pools which they were able to access through pet doors," according to the Consumer Products Safety Commission. The CPSC also notes that pet doors are often overlooked by adults concerned about child safety around their pool.
When another type of pool safety system is used—such as a pool fence encircling the pool, a pool cover, or a swimming pool alarm that meets ASTM Standard F2208—then a pet door is acceptable. But still not a good idea if there are small children around the house. To learn more, go to our article What are the pool safety barrier requirements for Florida?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about POOL AND SPA:
• Does an above-ground pool require a building permit?
• Does an above-ground pool have to comply with code requirements for a swimming pool barrier?
• What are the pros and cons of vinyl liner vs fiberglas vs concrete in-ground pools?
• Can a pool with green, cloudy water be inspected?
• Should I refinish-resurface my pool with paint or plaster?
• Why are pool pumps now required to be variable speed?
• What are the clearance requirements for an overhead electric service drop that is directly over or near a swimming pool?
Visit our POOL AND SPA page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.