How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What is the code minimum size of a Tiny House loft?
Monday, June 7, 2021
These are the minimum requirements for a Tiny House loft:
• Minimum of 35 square feet (IRC AQ104.1.1).
• Portions of the loft with a sloped ceiling height below 3 feet do not count towards the minimum floor area (IRC AQ104.1.3). But one exception is allowed: when under a gable roof with a minimum 6/12 slope, the minimum height to be counted towards floor area is dropped to 16 inches.
• Lofts should not be less than 5 feet in any horizontal dimension.
• The access ladder or stairway should meet the loft where its ceiling height is not less than 3 feet.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
And some of our other articles about Tiny Houses:
• What is the code definition of a Tiny House?
• What is the code definition of a loft for a Tiny House?
• What is the code minimum ceiling height of a Tiny House?
• What are the code requirements for emergency escape from a Tiny House loft?
• What are the code requirements for a stairway to a Tiny House loft?
• What are the code requirements for a ladder to a Tiny House loft?
• What are the code requirement for loft guard rails in a Tiny House?
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.