How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What are the code requirements for a stairway to a Tiny House loft?
Monday, June 7, 2021
The International Residential Code (IRC) is a little more lenient on the minimum specs for a Tiny House loft stairway than a regular house. Here’s their requirements:
• Stairway to loft must be minimum 17 inches in clear width at or above the handrail, and minimum width below handrail of 20 inches (AQ22.214.171.124).
• Minimum headroom is 6 feet 2 inches (IRC AQ126.96.36.199).
• Stair risers must be between 7 inches and 12 inches in height.
• Relation between riser height and tread width must be calculated using one of these two formulas: either the tread depth shall be 20 inches minus four-thirds of the riser height, OR riser height shall be 15 inches minus three-fourths of the tread depth (IRC AQ188.8.131.52).
• Stairs must meet the loft where the ceiling height is not less than 3 feet (IRC AQ104.2).
• The top tread and riser of a stairway to a loft must be constructed as a landing platform when the loft ceiling height is less than 6 feet 2 inches where stair meets loft. The landing platform should be minimum 20 inches in both width and depth, and the landing platform riser height to loft floor between 16 inches and 18 inches (IRC AQ184.108.40.206).
• Handrails and stair guards must meet same standards as regular residential construction (IRC R311.7.8 and R312.1)
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s some of our other articles about Tiny Houses:
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.