How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Electrical Panels
Monday, June 7, 2021
Electrical panels are still called “fuse boxes” by many homeowners, although the fuses have long-ago been replaced by circuit breakers, and new technology like AFCI and GFCI added to many breakers. Here’s some of the questions we get asked most-often about them:
• What is the maximum number of circuit breakers allowed in an electric panel?
• Can you add circuit breakers by different manufacturers to an electric panel if they fit?
• Why do some wires in an electric panel have tape wrapped around them near their connections?
• My circuit breaker won't reset. What's wrong?
• Why is a fuse box/panel an insurance problem for homebuyers?
• Why are old electrical components not always "grandfathered" as acceptable by home inspectors?
• What happens when you press the "TEST" button on a circuit breaker in an electric panel?
• What is the voltage rating of a house electrical system?
• What is a split bus electric panel?
• When should a corroded or damaged electric panel cabinet or disconnect box be replaced?
• Where are electrical breaker panels not allowed by code?
• What is a lock device on a circuit breaker for?
• What is a reliable way to tell if the electrical service is 3 phase or single phase?
• Why is the circuit breaker stuck in the middle?
• Can an electric panel be located in a closet?
• Can an electric panel be located in a bathroom?
• What is a "backfeed" main breaker at an electric panel?
• How do I find out the manufacturer of an electrical panel?
• What are the code requirements for an old fuse panel/box?
• What is a tandem circuit breaker?
• How dangerous is rust and corrosion inside an electrical panel?
• What causes copper wires to turn green or black in an electric panel?
• How far away should a sink be from an electric panel?
• What is the code required clearance in front of an electric panel?
• Can an electric panel be mounted upside down?
• Who is the manufacturer of those "bad" electric panels?
• What is a "missing knockout" or "open knockout" in an electric panel box? Why is it a problem?
• Why are Zinsco and Sylvania-Zinsco electric panels a problem?
• What is the maximum height you can mount an electric panel above the floor?
• What causes a hot circuit breaker in an electrical panel?
• What are the code requirements for a circuit directory and circuit identification for an electric panel?
• What is the gooey stuff on some of the wire connections in the electric panel?
• What is a "missing twistout" at an electric panel?
• Can an electric panel be mounted sideways-horizontally?
• What is a double tap at a circuit breaker?
• Where do I find the the main electrical breaker/disconnect to shutoff power for a condominium?
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.