How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What is a roof-over?
Tuesday, May 4, 2021
A “roof-over” is when an existing roof remains in place and a new roof is applied on top of it. This is also called a “roof recover." Although it is usually done with an asphalt shingle roof, the new roof can be any roofing material. To learn more, see our blog posts Does a roof with multiple layers of shingles last longer? and How can I tell if a roof has more than one layer of shingles? and How many layers of roofing are allowed on a home? and Can I put a new asphalt shingle roof over an existing shingle roof on a manufactured/mobile home?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of some of our other blog posts about SHINGLE ROOFS:
• Why is granule loss a problem for an asphalt shingle roof?
• What causes roof shingles to curl up at corners?
• Why is premature curl of roof shingles a problem?
• What is the life expectancy of an asbestos cement shingle roof?
• Why is a popped nail in a shingle roof a problem? How do I fix it?
• What are the dark lines running parallel to shingles on my roof?
• What is the average lifespan of an architectural (dimensional) shingle roof?
• What is the average lifespan of a regular (3-tab) shingle roof?
• What does "lack of tab adhesion" in an asphalt shingle roof mean?
• What is the minimum pitch/slope of an asphalt shingle roof?
• What's the difference between an "architectural" and a regular shingle roof?
• Why is an asphalt shingle roof difficult to inspect when wet right after it has rained?
• How can I tell if an asphalt shingle roof manufacturer's warranty rating is 20 years, 30 years, or more?
• What causes small areas of pitting or pockmarks in an asphalt shingle roof?
• Why are there sometimes damaged shingles around an area of roof shingle repair or the tie-in of a new roof?
• What would cause a new asphalt shingle roof to have loose tab adhesion (sealant strips)?
• Can I install a new metal roof over an asphalt shingle roof?
• Are asphalt shingles slippery when wet?
• Do asphalt shingles need time to settle and adhere?
• What is granular loss on a shingle roof?
Visit our ROOF AND ATTIC page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.