How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What is a keyless light fixture or lampholder?
Sunday, May 16, 2021
A keyless light fixture or lampholder does not have an on/off switch built into it—like a pull chain, toggle switch, or push-rod at the socket—and requires a remote switch on the wall or cord. “Keyless” is a holdover from an earlier era of gas lighting, when there was a key to turn at the fixture that adjusted or turned off the gas flow.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of more blog posts about LIGHT FIXTURES:
• Can a bare bulb "lampholder" light fixture be installed outdoors?
• What is the code requirement for a light fixture (luminaire) over a shower or bathtub?
• Does a fluorescent light in a clothes closet require a cover lens?
• What is the average life expectancy of an exterior light fixture?
• What is the average life expectancy of an interior light fixture?
• What does "listed and labeled" mean for an electrical component?
• What causes flickering or blinking lights in a house?
• Why do the lights dim when the air conditioner starts up?
• Is a bare bulb light in a closet alright?
• Does a light switch have to be in the same room as lights?
• Why can't I put a chandelier over the spa tub in my master bath? It would look wonderful!
• What is minimum code requirement for switched lighting in a house?
• What are the code requirements for light fixtures in a closet?
Visit our ELECTRICAL SWITCHES page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
Edison Light Photo - Wikipedia Commons
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.