How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Does code require a water shut-off valve at sinks?
Sunday, May 23, 2021
A shut-off valve is required at each supply pipe to every sink in a home, according to the Residenital Edition of the Florida Building Code (FBC) and the International Residential Code (IRC P2903.9.3).
The code further says that “fixture valves, when installed, shall be located either at the fixture or at the manifold” (P2903.8.5). A manifold is a central water distribution box, similar in concept to an electric panel, in that it has two rows of shut off valves, each of which connects to a pipe that goes directly to a specific plumbing fixture only. Plumbers call it a “home run” system, and we have only seen a manifold used with flexible PEX (cross-linked polyethylene) plastic pipe.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about SHUT-OFF VALVES:
• How do I find the main water shut off valve for my house?
• How do I shut off the main water service in a mobile/manufactured home?
• Where do I find the main water shut-off valve for my condominium?
• Does a home inspector locate the main water shut-off valve?
• Does a home inspector check and test shut-off valves?
• Does a water heater need a shut-off valve?
• Does code require a water shut-off valve at toilets?
• Does code require a water shut-off valve at showers?
• Does code require a water shut-off valve at bathtubs?
• Does code require a water shut-off valve for dishwashers?
• Which plumbing fixtures require water shut off valves in a home?
• Does a refrigerator water supply line require a shutoff valve behind it?
• Is it alright to have a shut-off valve on both the hot and cold water pipes at a water heater?
• Is a shut off valve in-line on a supply line to a plumbing fixture acceptable?
• Is a shut-off valve required at the cold water inlet to a mobile home water heater?
• What is the average life expectancy of plumbing fixture water shut-off valves?
• Is a sink or toilet shut-off valve behind an access panel approved by code?
Visit our PLUMBING pages for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.