How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Does code require a water shut-off valve at showers?
Sunday, May 23, 2021
A shut-off valve is not required at the water supply pipes to a shower, according to the Residenital Edition of the Florida Building Code (FBC) and the International Residential Code (IRC P2903.9.3). We rarely see a shut-off valve at bathroom showers, except that older homes that have had a previous problem with supply pipes in the shower wall may have shut-off valves behind a wall access panel.
And anyone with a newer house with PEX piping may also have a shower shut-off at the manifold. A manifold is a central water distribution box, similar in concept to an electric panel, in that it has two rows of shut off valves, each of which connects to a pipe that goes directly to a specific plumbing fixture only. Plumbers call it a “home run” system.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about SHUT-OFF VALVES:
• How do I find the main water shut off valve for my house?
• How do I shut off the main water service in a mobile/manufactured home?
• Where do I find the main water shut-off valve for my condominium?
• Does a home inspector locate the main water shut-off valve?
• Does a home inspector check and test shut-off valves?
• Does a water heater need a shut-off valve?
• Does code require a water shut-off valve at toilets?
• Does code require a water shut-off valve at sinks?
• Does code require a water shut-off valve at bathtubs?
• Does code require a water shut-off valve for dishwashers?
• Which plumbing fixtures require water shut off valves in a home?
• Does a refrigerator water supply line require a shutoff valve behind it?
• Is it alright to have a shut-off valve on both the hot and cold water pipes at a water heater?
• Is a shut off valve in-line on a supply line to a plumbing fixture acceptable?
• Is a shut-off valve required at the cold water inlet to a mobile home water heater?
• What is the average life expectancy of plumbing fixture water shut-off valves?
• Is a sink or toilet shut-off valve behind an access panel approved by code?
Visit our PLUMBING page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.