When we pull up at a house to do a wind mitigation inspection, the homeowner often greets us with “So you’re here to do the roof inspection, right?” But, actually, an inspection of the condition of the roof is not part of a wind mitigation report and an inspector does not go on the roof. But we do verify, with a copy of the most recent roof permit, when the roof was last replaced—but that’s it. The intent is to be able to provide an insurance discount if the roof is newer and installed with roofing material that has a Florida Building Code (FBC) or Miami-Dade product approval at time of installation.
Most of the inspection is done in the attic, to verify that the roof trusses or rafters are securely tied-down to the wall, and that the roof sheathing is nailed to the trusses or rafters with the right nails at the correct spacing. To see other discounts that are possible, go to our blog post How can I get a better wind mitigation report and reduce the cost of my windstorm insurance in Florida?
Although a roof covering that does not meet the standard will simply not get an insurance discount as far as the wind mitigation inspection is concerned, a roof that the form verifies as older (usually 20 years or more) will almost certainly trigger a requirement from your insurer for a roof inspection or roof replacement in order to obtain or renew insurance. So it is definitely possible to fail a wind mitigation inspection.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about the WIND MITIGATION FORM:
• How much does a wind mitigation inspection cost?
• Who can perform a wind mitigation inspection in Florida?
• How long does it take for a wind mitigation inspection?
• Is a wind mitigation inspection transferable from previous homeowner to new homeowner?
• What is checked during a wind mitigation inspection?
• Is a wind mitigation inspection report (OIR-B1-1802) required for homeowners insurance in Florida?
• Which building permit date is used for the Building Code section of the wind mitigation form?
• What are the different roof deck attachment discount categories for a wind mitigation inspection?
• What determines the year of a house?
• What is the difference between a toe nail, clip, single wrap, and double wrap for the wind mitigation form?
• How do I get the hip roof discount for my homeowners windstorm insurance?
• Can I do my own wind mitigation inspection?
• What’s the difference between a gable and hip roof for my insurance?
• What is the wind mitigation inspection for homeowner's insurance?
• Why did I get no discounts or only a small discount from my wind mitigation inspection?
• How can I tell how hurricane resistant a Florida house is before I buy it?
• How long does a wind mitigation inspection remain valid?
• What is a wind mitigation discount?
• Do I get a a discount for partial hurricane shutters in a Wind Mitigation inspection?
• Why did I get no discount for roof-to-wall-attachment in my Wind Mitigation report?
• What’s the difference between a four-point and wind mitigation inspection?
• What is the discount for Secondary Water Resistance (SWR) on a Wind Mitigation Inspection Report (OIR-B1-1802)?
• How much does a wind mitigation inspection save on insurance?
• What is the discount for gable end bracing in a Wind Mitigation Inspection (OIR-B1-1802)?
• What is the discount for wall construction type in a Wind Mitigation Inspection Report (OIR-B1-1802)?
• Does RhinoRoof® underlayment qualify to the Secondary Water Resistance (SWR) discount on a Florida Wind Mitigation (OIR-B1-1802) inspection?
• Can I get the Florida Building Code (FBC) discount on a wind mitigation form even if the permit application was before March 1, 2002?
• What is the difference between the HVHZ (High Velocity Hurricane Zone) and the Wind-Borne Debris Region in Florida Building Code?
• If the strap has 2 nails at my roof trusses, what credit do I get on my wind mitigation inspection?
• Is a digital signature acceptable for customers on the Florida Wind Mitigation Form (OIR-B1-1802)?
• Can I get a wind mitigation inspection for a mobile home?
• Can I get a wind mitigation inspection for a modular home?
• Why didn't I get the hip roof discount on my wind mitigation inspection?
• What does toe nailing mean?
• Is it worth it to upgrade my roof tie-down hurricane straps for a better wind mitigation insurance discount?
• Why didn’t I get an insurance discount for my new hurricane-resistant windows on my wind mitigation inspection?
• When did Florida start requiring re-nailing of roof deck sheathing for a roof replacement?
Visit our ROOF AND ATTIC page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.