How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Is an attached garage required to have a door to the house or exterior?
Sunday, February 7, 2021
A garage is not considered a living space by the International Residential Code (IRC), so it’s not required to be connected to the house—although a door to the house is both convenient and typical. A person door to the exterior from the garage is also not required and, if installed, it is not allowed to be counted as an emergency egress route.
Additionally, removing the overhead garage door does not relieve you of the code requirements for garage fire separation from the house. See our blog posts What is the difference between a carport and a garage? and What are the code requirements for fire separation between an attached garage and the house? for more on this.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of some of our other blog posts about GARAGES AND CARPORTS:
• Why is my garage ceiling sagging?
• What are the common problems when a homeowner converts a garage to conditioned living space, such as a family room?
• Can a bedroom door open into the garage?
• Why are there score line grooves in the concrete floor of the garage?
• Does an attached garage that is only used for storage or as a workshop, and not for parking a car, still have to comply with building code requirements for a garage?
• How far apart should electric receptacle outlets be placed in a garage?
• Why if the garage door track a white tube?
• What is the raised metal plate on the floor under the garage door?
• Why do I have to hold down the button to close the garage door?
• How can I check my garage door to make sure it is safe?
• What does a home inspector check on an electric garage door?
• Can the a garage door header bracket and torsion springs be mounted through drywall?
• How can I tell if cracks in the garage floor are a problem or not?
• Is tempered/safety glass required by the building code for windows and doors?
• Why can't I use my home's central air conditioning system to cool the garage?
• What is the unusual garage door opener mounted on the wall above the door and marked "Wayne Dalton”?
• When were GFCI receptacle outlets first required in the garage?
• Why are most pull-down attic ladders not approved by building code for installation in a garage?
• Is the wood anchor pad for a garage door rail and torsion spring supposed to be nailed or bolted to the wall?
• Is a ceiling receptacle outlet for a garage door opener required to be GFCI protected?
Visit our STRUCTURE AND ROOMS page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.