How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Can you coat a TPO roof to extend its life?
Thursday, February 25, 2021
Yes, there are multiple brands of coatings, primarily elastomeric or acrylic, that will extend the life of a TPO (ThermoPlastic Olefin) roof. Here's a few considerations to review before you proceed:
• The roof should be old enough to have lost its shiny finish, at least 5 to 7 years, so the coating can adhere properly.
• Roof surface must be clean.
• Some systems require a base/prep coat first.
• No rain or high winds in the forecast on day of application.
Also, see our blog posts What is a TPO roof? and What is the average life expectancy of a TPO (Thermoplastic PolyOlefin) roof? and What is the minimum slope of a flat roof? and What is the average life expectancy of an elastomeric roof coating? and What is a "cool roof”?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Links to some of our other blog posts about FLAT ROOFS (LOW SLOPE):
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.