How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Does a tankless (on-demand) water heater require a shut-off valve?
Saturday, December 11, 2021
Yes, the International Residential Code requires a cold water shut-off valve at all water heaters (IRC 2903.9.2). It must be a full-open valve and readily accessible. Also, manufacturers recommend installation of a shut-off at the outlet (hot) piping too, as part of an isolator valve “flush kit” (example shown below).
For more details, go to Does a water heater need a shut-off valve? and Why should a tankless water heater have an isolator/service valve kit installed?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s a few other articles about tankless water heaters:
• Does a tankless gas water heater still work with no electricity during a power outage?
• What is the average life expectancy of a tankless water heater?
• Does a tankless water heater require a pressure relief valve?
• Does a tankless water heater in an attic require a drain pan?
• What is the minimum clearance to doors and windows for an outdoor tankless gas water heater?
Visit our WATER HEATERS page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.