How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What is the minimum ceiling height in a bedroom?
Tuesday, November 16, 2021
The minimum ceiling height of a bedroom is 7-feet, per International Residential Code (IRC 305.1). Also, a bedroom must have a minium floor area of 70 square feet, and a minimum wall length of 7-feet. Those dimensions are important because they are relevant to ceiling height when the bedroom has a sloped ceiling, because the required minimum height is only counted at the area with a minimum ceiling height of 5-feet, and not less than 50% of the room area must have a ceiling height of at least 7-feet.
For the minimum ceiling heights for other areas, click: Basements Bathrooms Bathtubs Hallways Garages Kitchens Laundry Rooms Showers Tiny Houses Toilet Rooms
Also see Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Bedrooms.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our other blog posts about STRUCTURE AND ROOMS:
• What causes dark or light "ghost" lines on ceilings and walls?
• Can you access or exit a bedroom through another bedroom?
• What is the difference between a carport and a garage?
• What are simple ways to find the cause of a ceiling stain?
• What is the minimum size of habitable rooms in a house according to the building code?
• Why is my garage ceiling sagging?
• How can I identify what kind of wood flooring I am looking at?
• Why does my concrete floor slab sweat and get slippery?
• What is the minimum ceiling height for rooms in a house?
• Why are there score line grooves in the concrete floor of the garage?
• How can I tell if my floors are sloping?
• What are the common problems when a homeowner converts a garage to conditioned living space, such as a family room?
• How can I tell if a wall is load-bearing? Which walls can I take out?
• Can I remove the interior walls under a roof truss?
Visit our STRUCTURE AND ROOMS page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.