How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
How many receptacle outlets per room required by code?
Wednesday, November 10, 2021
It varies according to the room. First, here’s a list of receptacle requirements for rooms where a simple, minimum number is specified. Click on the links after each citation for more details:
Bathrooms - Minimum of one per bathroom sink, within three feet. What is code for bathroom reptacle outlet spacing? .
Hallways - Minimum of one per hallway if ten feet or longer. How many electrical receptacles (outlets) are required in a hallway?
Garages - Minimum of one receptacle. How far apart should electric receptacle outlets be placed in a garage?
Exterior - Minimum of two receptacles, one each front and back. Is a house required to have outdoor electric receptacle outlets?
Closets - Not required. What is the code requirement for receptacle outlets in a closet?
Now, the more complicated minimum receptacle standards:
Living Room, Dining Room, Bedroom, Den, Sun Room, etc. - The maximum spacing between receptacles in general living areas is 12 feet, with no point along a wall being more than 6-feet from a receptacle. What is code for receptacle outlet spacing?
Kitchens - Minimum two 20-amp circuits for kitchen appliances, and counter receptacles spaced so that no point along the back of counter is more than two-feet from a receptacle. How far apart should kitchen counter receptacles be spaced?
Foyers - Foyers that are not part of a hallway and are greater than 60 square feet require a receptacle outlet on each wall space that is 3 feet or more in width, What is the code requirement for receptacle outlets in a foyer?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
To learn more about electrical wiring, devices, and receptacles, see these other blog posts:
• What is the difference between what trips a GFCI (ground fault) receptacle and a circuit breaker?
• What is the code requirement for GFCI protection for receptacles near a wet bar sink?
• What is the requirement for a service receptacle outlet for heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration (HACR) equipment?
• Why is an opening in the wall around the side of an electrical receptacle outlet a safety defect?
• When should I replace electric receptacle outlets?
• Does an electric receptacle outlet in a storage shed require GFCI protection?
• What are "self-contained" electrical receptacle outlets and switches?
• What is the difference between an electrical receptacle, an outlet, and a plug?
• What is a "backstab" receptacle outlet?
• Why are some electric receptacle outlets upside down (ground slot up) in a house?
• What is the height requirement for an electric receptacle outlet?
• What is the minimum height for an exterior receptacle outlet?
• When was the current receptacle/outlet spacing of 12-feet first required?
• When was the three-slot (grounding) outlet/receptacle first required?
• Why does painting an electric receptacle (outlet) make it unsafe?
• Why are electrical outlets and plugs polarized?
• What problems does having too many electric receptacle outlets on a single circuit cause?
• How I can tell if a receptacle outlet is tamper resistant?
• Why is there a GFCI breaker in the electric panel for the bathroom shower light and exhaust fan?
• What is a false ground, bootleg ground, or cheated ground receptacle?
• How can adding wood paneling or a wainscot create an electrical safety hazard?
• How can I figure out what a mystery wall switch does?
• How high above the floor do electric outlets/receptacles in a garage have to be?
• Is an ungrounded electric receptacle outlet dangerous?
• My bathroom electric receptacle/outlet is dead and there are no tripped breakers in the electric panel. What's wrong?
• Is there an adapter that can be placed on a two-slot receptacle to make it safe?
• How do the new tamper-resistant electric outlets work?
• Why is there no bathroom electric receptacle in this old house?
• How can I tell if the electric receptacle outlets are grounded?
• How far apart should the electrical receptacles be placed?
• What are the most common problems/defects found with electric receptacle outlets during a home inspection?
Visit our ELECTRICAL page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.