How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Does code require venting a dryer outside?
Sunday, November 28, 2021
A dryer exhaust system must convey the moisture and heat to the outdoors, per International Residential Code (IRC M1502.3).
An exception is allowed only for listed and labeled (condensing) ductless clothes dryers (IRC M1502.1). For details of the other code requirements for dryer vents, go to What is code for dryer vents?. Also see What does "listed and labeled" mean for an electrical component? and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Laundry Areas
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of some of our other blog posts about WASHERS AND DRYERS:
• Can a washer or dryer be located in front of an electric panel?
• Does a home inspector check the clothes dryer?
• Why does venting a clothes dryer into a garage, attic, or crawl space cause problems?
• What are the code requirements for an outdoor dryer vent cover?
• What are the most common problems with washing machine installation and maintenance?
• Is a washing machine drain hose required to be secured at the standpipe?
• What is the maximum length for a washing machine drain hose?
• How do you inspect a dryer vent?
• Why are rubber washing machine hoses a safety risk?
• What is the correct height for the washing machine drain standpipe or outlet box?
• Is a laundry area for a washing machine required by code for a single family residence?
• When were GFCI receptacle outlets first required in a laundry room?
• When did AFCI protection first become required for laundry rooms?
Visit our APPLIANCES page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.