How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What is a 5V roof?
Monday, October 4, 2021
“5V” is the shortened name for a 5V-crimp metal roof. It is the traditional profile for a metal roof, named for the five inverted V’s running down the length of each panel, two at each end and one in the middle.
Most 5V-crimp roof panels produced in the last 30 years are made of Galvalume®, which is a steel core with a combination zinc and aluminum coating, and they are secured with screws to the roof deck. An example is shown at the top of the page. Older roofs are galvanized steel secured with nails, like in the photo below.
Also see our posts What are the pros and cons of a standing seam metal roof? and What is a PBR metal roof?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to some of our other articles about METAL ROOFS:
• What is the difference between galvanized and galvalume metal roofing?
• What is the average lifespan of a metal (galvalume) roof?
• Can metal roofing be used on a low slope/pitch roof?
• What are roofing purlins and battens?
• Why are there leaves in my attic?
• How do you flash skylight, chimney, and pipe vent roof penetrations on a metal roof?
• Is a metal roof for a mobile home approved for HUD Wind Zone 3?
• Can I install a new metal roof over an asphalt shingle roof?
• Which are the male and female flanges of a metal roof panel?
• What is the code required minimum pitch/slope for a metal roof?
• What color metal roof is best?
• What is a cool roof made of?
• Why is my metal roof leaking?
Visit our ROOF AND ATTIC page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.