How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Is a handrail required on both sides of a stair?
Sunday, January 10, 2021
"Handrails shall be provided on not less than one side of each continuous run of treads or flight with four or more risers,” according to the International Residential Code (IRC-311.7.8) and the Residential Edition of the Florida Building Code. So a handrail is only required on one side of a residential stair, but commercial construction codes often require a handrail on both sides. Also see our blog posts What are the building code requirements for a handrail at stairs? and What is the difference between a handrail and a guardrail?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our other blog posts about STAIRS:
• What is the building code requirement for receptacle outlets at stairs and stair landings?
• Are open stair risers acceptable?
• What is the steepest residential stair allowed?
• What do home inspectors check when inspecting stairs?
• Is a landing always required at the top and bottom of stairs?
• When is a railing required at stairs?
• What is the building code for the minimum height of stair steps (risers)?
• When is a nosing required on a stair tread?
• Why is a single step dangerous in a house?
• Do I need stairs at all exit doors from a mobile home?
• The stairs feel too steep. What's the building code?
• What is the longest stair run allowed?
• What is the lighting requirement for stairs?
• A light is required over a stair after how many steps/risers?
• When is safety glass required for windows at stairs and stair landings?
Visit our STAIRS page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.