Yes, you can put a receptacle outlet in a pantry, but it is not required by code. Also, if you do put a receptacle in closet, it must be AFCI-protected. For more details, go to our blog posts What is the code requirement for receptacle outlets in a closet? and Where is AFCI required for outlets in a house?
Also, check out our other articles How far apart should the electrical receptacles be placed? and What is the height requirement for an electric receptacle outlet? and When should I replace electric receptacle outlets? and Should the ground slot of a receptacle outlet be on the top or bottom?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of some of our blog posts about ELECTRIC RECEPTACLE OUTLETS:
• What is the difference between what trips a GFCI (ground fault) receptacle and a circuit breaker?
• What causes an arc fault?
• What is the code requirement for GFCI protection for receptacles near a wet bar sink?
• What is the requirement for a service receptacle outlet for heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration (HACR) equipment?
• Why is an opening in the wall around the side of an electrical receptacle outlet a safety defect?
• When was GFCI-protection for kitchen dishwasher receptacle outlet first required?
• What is allowable voltage range at a wall receptacle outlet in a house?
• What is a "while-in-use" weatherproof electrical receptacle outlet cover?
• Where are GFCI receptacle outlets required?
• When were GFCI receptacle outlets first required?
• Does a home inspector remove receptacle outlet cover plates?
• What is the minimum height for an exterior receptacle outlet?
• When was the current receptacle/outlet spacing of 12-feet first required?
• When was the three-slot (grounding) outlet/receptacle first required?
• Is a house required to have outdoor electric receptacle outlets?
• How I can tell if a receptacle outlet is tamper resistant?
• Why is there a GFCI breaker in the electric panel for the bathroom shower light and exhaust fan?
• What is a false ground, bootleg ground, or cheated ground receptacle?
• What is reversed polarity at an outlet/receptacle? Why is it dangerous?
• My bathroom electric receptacle/outlet is dead and there are no tripped breakers in the electric panel. What's wrong?
• Is there an adapter that can be placed on a two-slot receptacle to make it safe?
• How do the new tamper-resistant electric outlets work?
• Why is there no bathroom electric receptacle in this old house?
• How can I tell if the electric receptacle outlets are grounded?
• What are the most common problems/defects found with electric receptacle outlets during a home inspection?
• What is the code requirement for receptacle outlets in a closet?
• Does a home inspector check every electrical receptacle outlet in a house?
• What is the minimum number of receptacle outlets required in a house?
• How do I find where the first receptacle outlet in a circuit is located?
• What is an open front plug?
• What is a dead front plug?
• What is code for receptacle outlet spacing?
• How many receptacle outlets are required in a bedroom?
Visit our ELECTRICAL page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.