Why did I get no discount for roof-to-wall-attachment in my Wind Mitigation report?
Thursday, August 13, 2020
There are six ways that your home can be disqualified from getting a discount for roof-to-wall-attachment in your Wind Mitigation report for insurance:
1) The roof structure is “toe nailed," which means that the connection is secured with only a nail driven diagonally through the roof rafter or truss into the top plate of the wall. This is the way it was done in homes built in the mid-20the century and earlier, and it's an inadequate connection by today’s hurricane-resistance standards.
2) The metal connector is attached to the truss/rafter with less than three nails. If only one or two nails are used, like in the photo at the top of the page, the discount is voided.
3) The metal connectors are severely corroded.
4) There is a gap of 1/2-inch or more measured horizontally between the connection to the side of truss/rafter and the embedment in bond beam or wall connection below. This happens most often when the straps were embedded in the wet concrete bond beam at slightly wrong locations shortly after the beam was poured.
5) Any blocking between the bearing of the truss/rafters and wall below is more than 1.5” thick (the height of nominal 2” lumber).
6) The metal connector is installed incorrectly, with nails in withdrawal.
And, when the connectors are installed correctly, different levels of discount are given according to the uplift resistance of the type of approved connector used. For more details, see our blog post What is the difference between a toe nail, clip, single wrap, and double wrap for the wind mitigation form? Also, we suggest reading Is it worth it to upgrade my roof tie-down hurricane straps for a better wind mitigation insurance discount?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of some of our other blog posts about the WIND MITIGATION FORM:
How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.