How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Do I get a discount for partial hurricane shutters in a Wind Mitigation inspection?
Wednesday, August 12, 2020
There is no discount given for partial opening protection in a Florida Wind Mitigation report. It’s all or nothing. If, for example, shutters protect all the windows and doors in a home—except that the garage door is not hurricane-rated—then no discount is allowed for opening protection. All glazed openings, including skylights, must have wind and impact-resistant rated protection.
This may seem unreasonable if you don’t understand the main way hurricanes destroy a house. Once the envelope of the structure (exterior walls and roof) is breached by a storm, the hole depressurizes the interior and the house can literally explode apart, like in photo above. So, confirming that all openings are secure is both important and necessary for the discount.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of some of our other blog posts about the WIND MITIGATION FORM:
• How much does a wind mitigation inspection cost?
• Is a wind mitigation inspection report (OIR-B1-1802) required for homeowners insurance in Florida?
• Which building permit date is used for the Building Code section of the wind mitigation form?
• What are the different roof deck attachment discount categories for a wind mitigation inspection?
• What determines the year of a house?
• What is the difference between a toe nail, clip, single wrap, and double wrap for the wind mitigation form?
• How do I get the hip roof discount for my homeowners windstorm insurance?
• Can I do my own wind mitigation inspection?
• What’s the difference between a gable and hip roof for my insurance?
• What is the wind mitigation inspection for homeowner's insurance?
• Why did I get no discounts or only a small discount from my wind mitigation inspection?
• How can I tell how hurricane resistant a Florida house is before I buy it?
Visit our WIND MITIGATION FORM page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.