How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manufactured and modular homes
What are code requirements for fireplace gas shutoff valve?
Saturday, July 25, 2020
The requirements for a gas fireplace shutoff valve are at 409.5 in the International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC). A shutoff valve must:
1) Be located in the same room as the fireplace.
2) Within 6 feet of the appliance.
3) Cannot be concealed.
3) Must be upstream of union, connector, or quick-connect device serving fireplace.
4) Or, located at a gas manifold within 50 feet and clearly marked.
Also, when a shutoff valve is located within the firebox of a fireplace, it has to be installed in accordance with the fireplace manufacturer’s instructions. Here’s what one manufacturer says.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to some of our other blog posts about FIREPLACES AND CHIMNEYS:
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.