How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What is the average life expectancy of a laminate countertop?
Monday, June 29, 2020
How long does a laminate countertop last?
You can expect a laminate countertop to last 15 to 40 years, with an average of 25 years. The variable levels of use and care are the reason for the wide lifespan range. Using the surface as a cutting board or putting hot pans directly on the it causes scratches and burns. Also, dings accumulate at outside corners and abrasive cleaners deteriorate the printed surface.
Here’s a bar graph that compares the life expectancy of a laminate countertop to other available materials.
Go to our blog post What is the average lifespan of the parts of a house? for rating of other house components. To understand the basis, potential use, and limitations of lifespan ratings, see How accurate are the average life expectancy ratings of home components? Are they actually useful?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to some of our other blog posts about KITCHENS:
• Does a refrigerator water supply line require a shutoff valve behind it?
• Why is it important to use cabinet screws to mount the upper cabinets in the kitchen?
• Is a refrigerator receptacle outlet required to be GFCI-protected?
• Is a refrigerator required to have its own dedicated circuit?
• Is a range hood exhaust fan required in the kitchen?
• Why is an anti-tip device now required behind the range?
• How far away from the sink can I install a dishwasher?
• Can a dishwasher drain hose be connected after the sink trap (to the trap arm)?
• What is a "high drain loop" or "air gap" in a dishwasher drain hose?
• When were GFCI receptacle outlets first required in the kitchen?
• How far apart should kitchen counter receptacles be spaced?
• How far above a kitchen countertop do electrical outlets have to be?
• Why is garbage disposal not allowed at a combination waste and vent (CW&V) under a sink?
• Why do septic tank contractors want you to get rid of your kitchen disposal?
• Is a range hood exhaust fan required to vent outside?
Visit our KITCHENS and LIFE EXPECTANCY pages for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
NOTE: These life expectancies are based on data provided by InterNACHI, NAHB, FannieMae, and our own professional experience. Because of the numerous variables that can affect a lifespan, they should be used as rough guidelines only, and not relied upon as a warranty or guarantee of future performance.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.