How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What is the average life expectancy of a fiberglass exterior door?
Monday, June 22, 2020
How long does a fiberglass exterior door last?
You can expect a fiberglass exterior door to last 50 to 100+ years, with an average of 70 years. Fiberglass does not rust or rot and is more dimensionally stable than other door materials. However, the gaskets and/or weather stripping may need to be replaced every five to ten years.
Here’s a bar graph comparing the life expectancy of a fiberglass exterior door to other door types.
Go to our blog post What is the average lifespan of the parts of a house? for rating of other house components. To understand the basis, potential use, and limitations of lifespan ratings, see How accurate are the average life expectancy ratings of home components? Are they actually useful?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
To learn more about doors and windows, see these other blog posts:
• Is every exterior door of a house required to have a landing outside?
• What is the raised metal plate on the floor under the garage door?
• Why do I have to hold down the button to close the garage door?
• Why is the garage door track a white tube?
• How can I tell if a window or glass door is safety glass?
• What are the code requirements for safety tempered glass for doors?•
• Should a front door swing in or out?
• How many exit doors are required for a house?
• How many exit doors are required for a mobile/manufactured home?
• Can a bedroom door open into the garage?
• What are the building code requirements for a door from the garage to the house?
• What is "low-E" window glass?
• What does ANSI 297.1 on glass mean?
• Why is a double cylinder deadbolt lock on an exterior door a safety hazard?
• How can I check my garage door to make sure it is safe?
• Does a home inspector test all the windows and doors in a home?
• How difficult is it to change a window to french doors or a sliding glass door?
• How do you determine if a door is left-handed or right-handed?
• Why are window security bars dangerous?
• What is the tempered label on glass at windows and sliding glass doors called?
• Why is pressure washing double pane windows an expensive mistake?
• How can I tell if a window or sliding glass door is double or triple pane (insulated) glass?
• Do I need to have two exterior exit doors in my house?
• When is safety glass required for windows at stairs and stair landings?
Visit our DOORS AND WINDOWS and LIFE EXPECTANCY pages for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
NOTE: These life expectancies are based on data provided by InterNACHI, NAHB, FannieMae, and our own professional experience. Because of the numerous variables that can affect a lifespan, they should be used as rough guidelines only, and not relied upon as a warranty or guarantee of future performance.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.