How long does a bathroom medicine cabinet last?
You can expect a bathroom medicine cabinet to last 30 years, and sometimes much longer. Like other cabinets in the bathroom, it is likely to be replaced while still functional, but dated and a little battered, as as part of a bathroom remodeling.
Here’s a bar graph that compares the life expectancy of a medicine cabinet to other types of storage.
Go to our blog post What is the average lifespan of the parts of a house? for rating of other house components. To understand the basis, potential use, and limitations of lifespan ratings, see How accurate are the average life expectancy ratings of home components? Are they actually useful?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Links to some of our other blog posts about BATHROOMS:
• Honey, who shrunk the toilet?
• Why is it a problem when a trap under a bathroom sink is installed backwards?
• How do you test a shower pan for leaks?
• Are drop-in toilet bowl cleaner tablets safe?
• Why is there mold inside my toilet tank?
• What are the pros and cons of a wall-mounted toilet?
• Is a hot water faucet handle required to be on the left?
• What is an escutcheon plate?
• Why is the European-style bottle trap not approved by the plumbing codes in the U.S.?
• What are the minimum clearances around a toilet?
• What is the difference between a plumbing fixture, a plumbing appliance, and a plumbing appurtenance?
• Why is my bathroom vent fan not exhausting enough air?
• What is an "S-Trap" under my sink? Why is it a problem?
• Is a furnace allowed in a bedroom, bathroom, or an adjoining closet?How do you test a shower pan for leaks?
• Does a half bathroom (no shower or tub) require an exhaust fan?
• Is a shower pan leak test a required part of a home inspection?
• Can I install a commercial (wall-mounted flushometer) toilet in my home?
• What are the ventilation requirements for bathrooms and kitchens in mobile homes?
• Can a bathroom exhaust fan dump air (discharge/terminate) in the attic?
• What are the requirements for bathroom ventilation?
• How can I check to see if my bathroom exhaust fan is actually working and moving air?
• My bathroom is stinky and humid even though it has an exhaust fan. What can I do to fix it?
• Why is there a GFCI breaker in the electric panel for the bathroom shower light and exhaust fan?
• My bathroom electric receptacle/outlet is dead and there are no tripped breakers in the electric panel. What's wrong?
• Why is there no bathroom electric receptacle in this old house?
• Can you install a gas water heater in a bathroom?
• What is the minimum size of a shower?
• Does a bathroom exhaust fan need to be GFCI protected by code?
• What is the code minimum clearance in front of a toilet?
Visit our BATHROOMS and LIFE EXPECTANCY pages for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
NOTE: These life expectancies are based on data provided by InterNACHI, NAHB, FannieMae, and our own professional experience. Because of the numerous variables that can affect a lifespan, they should be used as rough guidelines only, and not relied upon as a warranty or guarantee of future performance.