How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What is the average life expectancy of a compact refrigerator?
Friday, May 29, 2020
How long does a compact refrigerator last?
You can expect a compact refrigerator to last 6 to 12 years, with an average of 8 years. Although more expensive models tend to last longer, most compact refrigerators are budget-priced and not intended to survive as long as a full-size fridge. And, like any appliance, heavy usage opening and closing will shorten the lifespan, and limited usage will extend it.
Here’s a graph that compares compact refrigerator life expectancy to other home appliances.
Go to our blog post What is the average lifespan of the parts of a house? for rating of other house components. To understand the basis, potential use, and limitations of lifespan ratings, see How accurate are the average life expectancy ratings of home components? Are they actually useful?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of some of our other blog posts about APPLIANCES:
• What are the building code requirements for installing an appliance (furnace, air handler, water heater) in the attic?
• Which house appliances need a dedicated electrical circuit?
• Is a washing machine drain hose required to be secured at the standpipe?
• When was GFCI-protection for kitchen dishwasher receptacle outlet first required?
• Why does venting a clothes dryer into a garage, attic, or crawl space cause problems?
• Does a refrigerator water supply line require a shutoff valve behind it?
• My spa tub stopped working. What's wrong?
• What is the maximum recommended height above the floor for an above-the-range microwave?
• Why would a home have natural gas appliaces but no gas meter?
• Is a hot water faucet required at a washing machine?
• Can I remove a 240-volt range receptacle and hard-wire the range?
• Can a dishwasher be wired to a kitchen counter small appliance receptacle circuit?
• Why is it bad to have a clothes dryer vent near an air conditioning condenser (outdoor unit)?
• Do home inspectors test the appliances?
• What are the most common defects with over-the-range microwaves?
• Are a range and refrigerator required kitchen appliances for a house to pass FHA inspection?
• What are the code requirements for an outdoor dryer vent cover?
• What is the maximum length for a clothes dryer vent?
• Why are my ceiling fan blades drooping?
• How do you inspect a dryer vent?
• Why is there a water hose connected to the back of the clothes dryer?
Visit our APPLIANCES page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
NOTE: These life expectancies are based on data provided by InterNACHI, NAHB, FannieMae, and our own professional experience. Because of the numerous variables that can affect a lifespan, they should be used as rough guidelines only, and not relied upon as a warranty or guarantee of future performance.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.