How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Is a range hood exhaust fan required to vent outside?
Monday, May 18, 2020
A range hood fan is not required to vent to the exterior as long as the kitchen has other mechanical or natural ventilation (such as a window), and it is rated to be ductless. Here is how it is stated in both the International Residential Code (IRC) and the Residential Edition of the Florida Building Code at M1503.1: “Where installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, and where mechanical or natural ventilation is otherwise provided, listed and labeled ductless range hoods shall not be required to discharge to the outdoors."
To learn more, see our blog posts Is a range hood exhaust fan required in the kitchen? and What does "listed and labeled" mean for an electrical component?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of some of our other blog posts about KITCHENS:
• How does a home inspector inspect a refrigerator ice maker?
• Does a refrigerator water supply line require a shutoff valve behind it?
• Why is it important to use cabinet screws to mount the upper cabinets in the kitchen?
• Is a refrigerator receptacle outlet required to be GFCI-protected?
• Is a refrigerator required to have its own dedicated circuit?
• Is a range hood exhaust fan required in the kitchen?
• Why is an anti-tip device now required behind the range?
• Are a range and refrigerator required kitchen appliances for a house to pass FHA inspection?
• How far away from the sink can I install a dishwasher?
• When was GFCI-protection for kitchen dishwasher receptacle outlet first required?
• Can a dishwasher be wired to a kitchen counter small appliance receptacle circuit?
• Can a dishwasher drain hose be connected after the sink trap (to the trap arm)?
• What is a "high drain loop" or "air gap" in a dishwasher drain hose?
• When were GFCI receptacle outlets first required in the kitchen?
• How far apart should kitchen counter receptacles be spaced?
• How far above a kitchen countertop do electrical outlets have to be?
• Why is garbage disposal not allowed at a combination waste and vent (CW&V) under a sink?
• Why do septic tank contractors want you to get rid of your kitchen disposal?
• What is the average life expectancy of a garbage disposal?
Visit our KITCHENS page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.