How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What is a four point inspection?
Tuesday, April 7, 2020
A four point is an insurance inspection that evaluates the condition of four major components of a home: roof, electrical, plumbing, and heating/air-conditioning. Its purpose is to give an insuror a clear picture of the condition of a home, particularly any older components, as they relate to the possibility of any future claims. A leaking roof, ancient water heater, and unsafe electrical wiring are examples of things that will cause a home to fail a four point inspection. This inspection is now required by insurors in Florida for any home over 30 years old.
To learn more, here's links to some of our other blog posts about four point inspections:
• Is the 4-point insurance inspection strictly pass or fail?
• Is an inspector required to open an electrical panel cover (dead front) during a four point inspection?
• How do I get insurance if my home can't pass a 4-point inspection?
• How do I get my home ready for a four point inspection for insurance?
• Will a house without air conditioning pass a 4 point inspection?
• Why does my homeowner's insurance want a four point inspection?
• Why is a fuse box/panel an insurance problem for homebuyers?
• Which water pipes are an insurance problem and possibly uninsurable?
• Can a patched roof pass a 4-point inspection?
• Why are old electrical components not always "grandfathered" as acceptable by home inspectors?
• Do I need to get a four point inspection for insurance for an older condominium?
• Is a four-point inspection mandatory in Florida for insurance?
• How long is a four point inspection valid?
Visit our HOME INSPECTION and INSURANCE pages for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.