How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
PLUMBING DRAINS AND TRAPS
Friday, April 10, 2020
Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about PLUMBING DRAINS AND TRAPS:
• Why can't a sanitary tee be used for a horizontal-to-horizontal drain pipe connection?
• Is a washing machine drain hose required to be secured at the standpipe?
• Why is it a problem when a trap under a sink is installed backwards?
• What are the code requirements for plumbing vent terminations?
• What are the code requirements for layout of drain piping under sinks?
• What are the building code requirements for gray water reuse in Florida?
• What causes a gurgling sound when a bathtub or sink drains?
• What is the difference between a vent stack and a stack vent?
• What is a "combination waste and vent" in a plumbing system?
• Why is garbage disposal not allowed at a combination waste and vent (CW&V) under a sink?
• What is an indirect waste receptor?
• What is the difference between water pipe and sewage (waste) pipe?
• How can I tell if a house is connected to a septic tank system or sewer?
• What type of water supply and drain (DWV) pipes were commonly used in the 2000s?
• What type water supply and drain (DWV) pipes were commonly used for 1990s residential plumbing?
• What type water supply and drain (DWV) pipes were commonly used for 1980s residential plumbing?
• What type water supply and drain (DWV) pipes were commonly used for 1970s residential plumbing?
• What type water supply and drain (DWV) pipes were commonly used for 1960s residential plumbing?
• What type water supply and drain (DWV) pipes were commonly used for 1950s residential plumbing?
• Should I seal the washing machine drain hose to the standpipe?
• Why is the European-style bottle trap not approved by the plumbing codes in the U.S.?
• What is an auto vent, air admittance valve, or check vent?
• Can I make a trap under the sink from straight pipe and 90º elbows?
• If all the plumbing drains have water in them and you can still smell sewer gas, what's causing the problem?
• Why is there a flexible accordion pipe under the sink?
• How do I get rid of the sewer gas smell in my house?
• What are the pipes on my roof?
• What is a "cross connection" in a home's plumbing system?
• What is an "S-Trap" under my sink? Why is it a problem?
• What is the difference between gray water and black water in the plumbing code?
• Is a sink required to have a drain stopper?
• Can a laundry sink drain be installed without a trap under it?
• What is a drum trap at a plumbing drain?
• Can a dishwasher drain hose be connected after the sink trap (to the trap arm)?
• How far away from the sink can I install a dishwasher?
• What is a "high drain loop" or "air gap" in a dishwasher drain hose?
• What is the minimum and maximum distance a P-trap can be below a sink?
• Is an air admittance valve (AAV) legal by code?
• What is a double trap in plumbing?
• Does a home inspector check sewer lines underground?
• What types of plumbing traps are illegal by code?
• What is bell trap at a plumbing drain?
• How many plumbing vents through the roof are required by code?
• Why is there a floor drain in the laundry room?
• Can an air conditioning condensate drain pipe connect to a sink drain?
• What is the minimum and maximum slope of the trap arm of a plumbing drain?
• Can an air admittance valve (AAV or Studor) be installed horizontally?
• Are running traps legal by plumbing code?
• What is the minimum trap seal depth under a sink drain?
• What is the maximum trap seal depth under a sink drain?
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.