How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
How can I tell the age of a Samsung heat pump or air conditioner from the serial number?
Wednesday, April 22, 2020
Samsung uses a letter code in the serial number for the year of manufacture on the data plate for the unit. If the serial number is 10 or 11 digits, the letter is at the fourth digit. For 15-digit serial numbers, it’s located at the 8th digit.
R = 2001, T = 2002, W = 2003, X = 2004
Y = 2005, A or L = 2006, P = 2007, Q = 2008
S = 2009, Z = 2010, B = 2011, C = 2012
D = 2013, F = 2014, G = 2015, H = 2016
J = 2017, K = 2018
So P1CP2473381was manufactured in 2007 for an 11-digit serial number. The date of manufacture may also be stated directly on the data plate, such as "Manufactured/Fabrique June 2014."
To determine the size of a Samsung system, see What size in tons is my Samsung heat pump? For the age of another brand or manufacturer, go to our blog post How do I determine the age of my air conditioner?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
To learn more about heating and air conditioning systems, see these other blog posts:
• What is the best location for a heat pump condenser (outside unit)?
• What is the best location for a heat pump air handler (indoor unit)?
• My air conditioner won't turn on. What's wrong?
• Where is the air filter for my central air conditioner and furnace? I can’t find it?
• Does an old air conditioner use more electricity as it ages?
• How did homes stay cool in Florida before air conditioning?
• What is wrong with an air conditioner when the air flow out of the vents is low?
• Why has the thermostat screen gone blank?
• Why does it take so long to cool a house when an air conditioner has been off for a while?
• Why is my air conditioner not cooling enough?
• What are the most common problems with wall/window air conditioners?
• Will closing doors reduce my heating and cooling costs?
Visit our HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.