How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What is the code minimum ceiling height in a laundry room?
Sunday, March 1, 2020
Laundry rooms must have a minimum ceiling height of 6 feet 8 inches. Where the ceiling is sloped, such as under a stairs, there are exemptions and two other parameters you have to work within, based on the Residential Edition of the Florida Building Code (FBC R305) and the International Residential Code (IRC):
1) For a room with a sloped ceiling, at least half of the ceiling must be a minimum of 7 feet or higher, with no part of the required floor area lower than 5 feet.
2) Beams, girders, ducts, or other obstructions can project to within 6 foot 4 inches of the floor.
For the minimum ceiling heights for other areas, click: Basements Bathrooms Bathtubs Bedrooms Hallways Garages Kitchens Showers Tiny Houses Toilet Rooms
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about LAUNDRY APPLIANCES:
• Is a washing machine drain hose required to be secured at the standpipe?
• Why does venting a clothes dryer into a garage, attic, or crawl space cause problems?
• Is a hot water faucet required at a washing machine?
• Why is it bad to have a clothes dryer vent near an air conditioning condenser (outdoor unit)?
• What are the code requirements for an outdoor dryer vent cover?
• What is the maximum length for a clothes dryer vent?
• What is the maximum length for a washing machine drain hose?
• How do you inspect a dryer vent?
• Why is there a water hose connected to the back of the clothes dryer?
• Why are rubber washing machine hoses a safety risk?
• What are the most common problems with washing machine installation and maintenance?
• What is the correct height for the washing machine drain standpipe or outlet box?
• Is a laundry area for a washing machine required by code for a single family residence?
• Does a home inspector check the washing machine?
• What is code for dryer vent termination clearance?
• What is code for dryer vents?
• Do home inspectors check the clothes dryer exhaust vent system?
• Is a washing machine a plumbing fixture?
• Why is there a floor drain in the laundry room?
• Can you vent a clothes dryer into the attic?
Visit our APPLIANCES page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.