How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What is the average life expectancy of a dishwasher?
Thursday, March 5, 2020
How long does a dishwasher last?
You can expect a dishwasher to last about 8 to 15 years, with an average of 11 years. Like any appliance, heavy usage will shorten it life and only occasional usage will lengthen it—except a dishwasher that is unused for a long period will cause the rubber doors seals to deteriorate, crack, and leak.
Also, see our other blog posts How far away from the sink can I install a dishwasher? and Does a home inspector check the dishwasher? and When was GFCI-protection for kitchen dishwasher receptacle outlet first required? and Can a dishwasher be wired to a kitchen counter small appliance receptacle circuit? and Can a dishwasher drain hose be connected after the sink trap (to the trap arm)? and What is a "high drain loop" or "air gap" in a dishwasher drain hose?
Here’s a graph comparing the life expectancy of a dishwasher to other major home appliances.
Go to our blog post What is the average lifespan of the parts of a house? for rating of other house components. To understand the basis, potential use, and limitations of lifespan ratings, see How accurate are the average life expectancy ratings of home components? Are they actually useful?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of some of our other blog posts about APPLIANCES:
• What are the building code requirements for installing an appliance (furnace, air handler, water heater) in the attic?
• Which house appliances need a dedicated electrical circuit?
• Is a washing machine drain hose required to be secured at the standpipe?
• When was GFCI-protection for kitchen dishwasher receptacle outlet first required?
• Why does venting a clothes dryer into a garage, attic, or crawl space cause problems?
• Does a refrigerator water supply line require a shutoff valve behind it?
• My spa tub stopped working. What's wrong?
• What is the maximum recommended height above the floor for an above-the-range microwave?
• Why would a home have natural gas appliaces but no gas meter?
• Is a hot water faucet required at a washing machine?
• Can I remove a 240-volt range receptacle and hard-wire the range?
• Why is it bad to have a clothes dryer vent near an air conditioning condenser (outdoor unit)?
• Do home inspectors test the appliances?
• What are the most common defects with over-the-range microwaves?
• Are a range and refrigerator required kitchen appliances for a house to pass FHA inspection?
• What are the code requirements for an outdoor dryer vent cover?
• What is the maximum length for a clothes dryer vent?
• Why are my ceiling fan blades drooping?
• How do you inspect a dryer vent?
• Why is there a water hose connected to the back of the clothes dryer?
Visit our APPLIANCES page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.