How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What are the minimum dimensions of a stair landing?
Sunday, March 15, 2020
A width of a stair landing cannot be less than the width of the stair itself, and the length (in direction of travel) cannot be less than 36 inches, according to the Internation Residential Code (IRC 311.7.6). A landing is required at the top and bottom of stairs, with two exceptions:
1) A floor or landing is not required at the top of an interior flight of stairs, including stairs in an enclosed garage, provided that a door does not swing over the stairs.
2) A top landing is not required where a stairway of not more than two risers (one tread) is located on the exterior side of the door (IRC 311.3.2).
Also, see our blog posts When is safety glass required for windows at stairs and stair landings? and What is the building code requirement for receptacle outlets at stairs and stair landings?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our other blog posts about STAIRS:
• What do home inspectors check when inspecting stairs?
• When is a railing required at stairs?
• What is the building code for the minimum height of stair steps (risers)?
• What is the building code requirement for receptacle outlets at stairs and stair landings?
• Are open stair risers acceptable?
• What is the steepest residential stair allowed?
• Why is a single step dangerous in a house?
• Do I need stairs at all exit doors from a mobile home?
• The stairs feel too steep. What's the building code?
• What is the longest stair run allowed?
• What is the lighting requirement for stairs?
• A light is required over a stair after how many steps/risers?
Visit our STAIRS page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.