How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Does a home inspector check ceiling fans?
Sunday, March 15, 2020
We inspect ceiling fans and all the inspectors we know do it also. But the State of Florida and the two major, national home inspector associations do not mention them—either as requiring inspection or exempt—in their Standards of Practice. If a ceiling fan is considered a “household appliance,” then Florida and the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) require inspection, but the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI) does not.
So, if you are concerned about whether the ceiling fans in a house you are buying are functional, double-check with your inspector that they are included in the report. To see what we look for, go to our blog post How does a home inspector check the ceiling fans?
Also, we suggest viewing these other articles:
• Why are my ceiling fan blades drooping?
• What is the average life expectancy of a ceiling fan?
• What is the minimum height of a ceiling fan above the floor?
• What is the code requirement for ceiling (paddle) fans near or above a swimming pool?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of some of our other blog posts about APPLIANCES:
• What are the building code requirements for installing an appliance (furnace, air handler, water heater) in the attic?
• Which house appliances need a dedicated electrical circuit?
• Is a washing machine drain hose required to be secured at the standpipe?
• When was GFCI-protection for kitchen dishwasher receptacle outlet first required?
• Why does venting a clothes dryer into a garage, attic, or crawl space cause problems?
• Does a refrigerator water supply line require a shutoff valve behind it?
• My spa tub stopped working. What's wrong?
• What is the maximum recommended height above the floor for an above-the-range microwave?
• Why would a home have natural gas appliaces but no gas meter?
• Is a hot water faucet required at a washing machine?
• Can I remove a 240-volt range receptacle and hard-wire the range?
• Can a dishwasher be wired to a kitchen counter small appliance receptacle circuit?
• Why is it bad to have a clothes dryer vent near an air conditioning condenser (outdoor unit)?
• Do home inspectors test the appliances?
• What are the most common defects with over-the-range microwaves?
• Are a range and refrigerator required kitchen appliances for a house to pass FHA inspection?
• What are the code requirements for an outdoor dryer vent cover?
• What is the maximum length for a clothes dryer vent?
• How do you inspect a dryer vent?
• Why is there a water hose connected to the back of the clothes dryer?
Visit our APPLIANCES page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.