How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Can you build a home addition over a septic tank in Florida?
Sunday, March 8, 2020
No, you cannot build a home addition over a septic tank or drainfield according to Florida Administrative Code 64E-6.005(2): "Systems shall not be located under buildings or within 5 feet of building foundations, including pilings for elevated structures.”
Also, see our blog posts How can I locate my septic tank? and Do I have to get a larger septic tank when I build a home addition? and How far away does a well need to be from a septic system in Florida?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
To learn more about SEPTIC TANK SYSTEMS, see these other blog posts:
• What are the building code requirements for gray water reuse in Florida?
• What can I add to my septic tank to help it work better?
• Why do septic tank contractors want you to get rid of your kitchen disposal?
• How can I tell if a house is connected to a septic tank system or sewer?
• Does a septic tank have to be re-certified if a house has been vacant for a while?
• How often should I pump out the septic tank?
• Should I call a plumber or septic tank contractor when my septic tank backs up into the house?
• Where is the septic tank? Are you going to inspect it?
• Can a house have more than one septic tank?
• What is the difference between gray water and black water in the plumbing code?
• Is it alright to disconnect the washing machine drain from the septic tank and divert it to the ground in the yard?
Visit our SEPTIC TANK SYSTEMS page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.