How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What is the modular home building code?
Friday, February 21, 2020
There is no national building code for modular homes that is comparable to the HUD-code that is the standard for manufactured/mobile homes. A modular home must meet the same code standards as a site-built home for the area where it will be located, which in most states is the International Residential Code (IRC), possibly with a few modifications enacted by the state.
Also, many states have additional requirements for modular homes and a department that oversees their production and installation. In Florida, it is the Department of Community Affairs. Also, a modular home must have an identifying sticker with reference number.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our other blog posts about MODULAR HOMES:
• What are the tie down requirements for a modular home?
• How safe is a modular home in a hurricane?
• How can I tell the difference between a manufactured home and a modular home?
• Does a modular home have a serial number?
• What is the life expectancy of a modular home?
• Does a modular home have a HUD tag?
Visit our MODULAR HOMES page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.