How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Does a combination microwave and range hood need a separate dedicated circuit?
Sunday, December 6, 2020
A combination microwave/hood cannot be connected to the either of the two required kitchen small appliance receptacle circuits because it is not a countertop (portable) appliance, per National Electrical Code [NEC 210.52(B)(2)]. It’s a fixed appliance. Also, all the manufacturer’s manuals for microwave/hoods that we have seen specify a dedicated circuit, preferably 20-amp, and the NEC requires following manufacturer’s installation instructions for listed and labeled appliances [NEC 110.3(B)].
To find out more about microwaves and range hoods, see our blog posts Does a home inspector check for dedicated circuits? and Is a range hood exhaust fan required in the kitchen? and Do microwaves require any minimum clearances around them? and What are the most common defects with over-the-range microwaves? and What is the maximum recommended height above the floor for an above-the-range microwave?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of some of our other blog posts about APPLIANCES:
• What are the building code requirements for installing an appliance (furnace, air handler, water heater) in the attic?
• Which house appliances need a dedicated electrical circuit?
• Is a washing machine drain hose required to be secured at the standpipe?
• When was GFCI-protection for kitchen dishwasher receptacle outlet first required?
• Why does venting a clothes dryer into a garage, attic, or crawl space cause problems?
• Does a refrigerator water supply line require a shutoff valve behind it?
• My spa tub stopped working. What's wrong?
• Why would a home have natural gas appliaces but no gas meter?
• Is a hot water faucet required at a washing machine?
• Can I remove a 240-volt range receptacle and hard-wire the range?
• Can a dishwasher be wired to a kitchen counter small appliance receptacle circuit?
• Why is it bad to have a clothes dryer vent near an air conditioning condenser (outdoor unit)?
• Do home inspectors test the appliances?
• Are a range and refrigerator required kitchen appliances for a house to pass FHA inspection?
• What are the code requirements for an outdoor dryer vent cover?
• What is the maximum length for a clothes dryer vent?
• Why are my ceiling fan blades drooping?
• How do you inspect a dryer vent?
• Why is there a water hose connected to the back of the clothes dryer?
Visit our APPLIANCES page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.