How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
How can I tell the age of a NuTone heat pump or air conditioner from the serial number?
Tuesday, November 3, 2020
The fourth and fifth digits of a NuTone serial number are the year of manufacture. So the data plate shown below indicates the condenser was manufactured in 2009. Nutone is produced by Nortek, formerly Nordyne.
But there is one exception: if the third digit is not a letter, then the third and fourth digits are the year of manufacture. This only applies to very old ones, most of which are long gone.
For the age of another brand or manufacturer, go to our blog post How do I determine the age of my air conditioner? To determine the size of your NuTone condenser, go to our blog post How many tons is my NuTone heat pump or air conditioner? To determine other key specs of your HVAC system, see one of these other blog posts:
• How can I find out the SEER of my air conditioner?
• How can I tell whether the condenser (outdoor unit) is an air conditioner or heat pump?
• How can I find out the size of my air conditioner?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
To learn more about heating and air conditioning systems, see these other blog posts:
• My air conditioner won't turn on. What's wrong?
• Where is the air filter for my central air conditioner and furnace? I can’t find it?
• Does an old air conditioner use more electricity as it ages?
• How did homes stay cool in Florida before air conditioning?
• What is wrong with an air conditioner when the air flow out of the vents is low?
• Why has the thermostat screen gone blank?
• Why does it take so long to cool a house when an air conditioner has been off for a while?
• Why is my air conditioner not cooling enough?
• What are the most common problems with wall/window air conditioners?
• Will closing doors reduce my heating and cooling costs?
Visit our HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.