Not less than 30 inch by 30 inch interior dimensions measured from finished interior surfaces, with a minimum of 900 square inches floor area, except that a shower can be a minimum of 25 inches in one dimension if the total area is increased to 1300 square inches. Fold-down seats are permitted as long as the minimum 900 square inches is maintained when the seat is up. Shower heads, grab bars, soap dishes, and valves allowed to protrude into minimum required area. All these standards are per 2017 Residential Edition of the Florida Building Code (FBC) and the International Residential Code (IRC).
For more code minimums for a shower, go to our What are the minimum requirements for a shower?
Here’s links to a collection of some of our other blog posts about BATHROOMS:
• Honey, who shrunk the toilet?
• Why is it a problem when a trap under a bathroom sink is installed backwards?
• What are the code requirements for layout of drain piping under bathroom sinks?
• Why is there sand in the bottom of my toilet tank?
• What is a "fixture unit" for plumbing?
• Are drop-in toilet bowl cleaner tablets safe?
• Why is there mold inside my toilet tank?
• What are the pros and cons of a wall-mounted toilet?
• Is a hot water faucet handle required to be on the left?
• What is an escutcheon plate?
• Why is the European-style bottle trap not approved by the plumbing codes in the U.S.?
• What are the minimum clearances around a toilet?
• Can I make a trap under the sink from straight pipe and 90º elbows?
• Why is there a flexible accordion pipe under the bathroom sink?
• What is that big thing in the toilet tank?
• What is the difference between a plumbing fixture, a plumbing appliance, and a plumbing appurtenance?
• Why are shower water valves all single-handle nowadays?
• Why is my bathroom vent fan not exhausting enough air?
• What is an "S-Trap" under my sink? Why is it a problem?
• What is a P-trap?
• When did the building code begin requiring bathroom vent fans to discharge to the exterior (not the attic or crawl space)?
• Is a furnace allowed in a bedroom, bathroom, or an adjoining closet?How do you test a shower pan for leaks?
• Does a half bathroom (no shower or tub) require an exhaust fan?
• Is a shower pan leak test a required part of a home inspection?
• Can I install a commercial (wall-mounted flushometer) toilet in my home?
• What are the ventilation requirements for bathrooms and kitchens in mobile homes?
• Can a bathroom exhaust fan dump air (discharge/terminate) in the attic?
• What are the requirements for bathroom ventilation?
• How can I check to see if my bathroom exhaust fan is actually working and moving air?
• My bathroom is stinky and humid even though it has an exhaust fan. What can I do to fix it?
• Why is there a GFCI breaker in the electric panel for the bathroom shower light and exhaust fan?
• My bathroom electric receptacle/outlet is dead and there are no tripped breakers in the electric panel. What's wrong?
• Why is there no bathroom electric receptacle in this old house?
• Can you install a gas water heater in a bathroom?
Visit our BATHROOMS page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.