How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
Frequently Asked Questions About House Foundations
Wednesday, January 15, 2020
The importance of a sturdy, stable foundation for a home can’t be overstated. Like a good roof, it’s a key factor in the longevity of a house or mobile home—and usually very expensive to repair when things go wrong. Here’s a collection of answers to the questions we get asked most frequently about foundations:
• What is the average lifespan of a house foundation?
• Should I buy a house that has had foundation repair?
• What are the common problems of different types of house foundations?
• What does a home inspector look for in the crawl space under a home?
• What is the code requirement for the height and width of an access opening to the crawl space under a house?
• How do I recognize structural problems in a retaining wall?
• What is the minimum depth below ground of the foundation of a house, for either monolithic thickened edge slab or stemwall footing?
• How can I tell if cracks in the wall or floor are getting worse or staying the same?
• How can I tell whether my house foundation problems are caused by a sinkhole or expansive clay soil?
• How can I avoid buying a house with clay soil heaving foundation problems?
• What are the most common defects in mobile/manufactured home foundation piers?
• What is the definition of a "permanent foundation" for a mobile/manufactured home?
• What are the HUD minimum requirements for foundation footings and piers under a mobile/manufactured home?
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.