How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What is truss uplift?
Tuesday, August 6, 2019
Truss uplift is when the bottom chord of a wood roof truss bows upward during cold weather, pulling the ceiling up and away from the walls, and opening up a crack line where they meet. For a full explanation, see our blog post What causes cracks to open along the line between the ceiling and walls?
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our other blog posts about STRUCTURE AND ROOMS:
• Why is the grout cracking and coming loose at my floor tile?
• What are the building code requirements for notching and boring holes in a wall stud?
• What causes dark or light "ghost" lines on ceilings and walls?
• Can you access or exit a bedroom through another bedroom?
• What is the difference between a carport and a garage?
• What are simple ways to find the cause of a ceiling stain?
• What is the minimum size of habitable rooms in a house according to the building code?
• Why is my garage ceiling sagging?
• How can I identify what kind of wood flooring I am looking at?
• Why does my concrete floor slab sweat and get slippery?
• What is the minimum ceiling height for rooms in a house?
• Why are there score line grooves in the concrete floor of the garage?
• How much can I cut out of a floor joist?
• How can I tell if my floors are sloping?
• Why do the floors slope in this old house?
• What are the common problems when a homeowner converts a garage to conditioned living space, such as a family room?
• How can I tell if a wall is load-bearing? Which walls can I take out?
Visit our STRUCTURE AND ROOMS page for other related blog posts on this subject, or go to the INDEX for a complete listing of all our articles.
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? Check our price for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.