How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
What are the pros and cons of steel versus PVC for well construction?
Sunday, August 25, 2019
Steel has long been the standard material for well construction, but we are seeing more PVC in the last decade. Here’s the advantages and disadvntages of both:
• Stronger, resistant to collapse.
• Standard, time-tested material.
• More expensive.
• Installation requires more labor.
• Corrosion over time due to galvanic reaction, regular rust, and naturally occurring iron bacteria.
• Corrosion-roughened surfaces provide home for bacterial growth.
• Easier installation.
• Less expensive.
• No corrosion.
• Smooth interior surface discourages bacterial attachment and growth.
• Susceptible to extreme temperatures.
• Ultraviolet in sunlight degrades PVC unless protective coating.
• Not as strong, lower resistance to collapse, limiting their use in deep water wells.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our other blog posts about WELLS:
of Blog Posts
Top 5 results given instantly.
Click on magnifying glass
for all search results.
Buying a home in North/Central Florida? for a team inspection by two FL-licensed contractors and inspectors. Over 8,500 inspections completed in 20+ years. In a hurry? We will get it done for you.