Do microwaves require any minimum clearances around them?
Wednesday, July 10, 2019
Although microwaves only heat the food in them, that food heats the air surrounding it and anything nearby, and needs to be adequately dissipated. Here’s the standards that GE has for the different types of microwave ovens they offer. Other manufacturers are similar, if not identical.
• 3-inches on sides and top.
• 1-inch in back.
• GE does not recommend installation inside a cabinet without using one of their built-in kits, which includes a faceplate surround (shown below). If not used, the clearances above are applicable.
Hanging Microwaves (under cabinet, but not over range)
• 2-inches on each side and underneath.
• Minimum 66-inches from floor to top of microwave, which allows 13” to 16” clearance below microwave to cooktop.
• Should not be installed over a range or cooktop rated at more than 60,000 BTU.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Here’s links to a collection of our blog posts about APPLIANCES:
How To Look At A House
McGarry and Madsen's home inspection blog for buyers of
site-built, mobile/manfuactured and modular homes
for Links to Collections
of Blog Posts